Wednesday, December 14, 2005

You are beautiful, but you don't mean a thing to me

So I seldomly really like a new band. I am usually a music snob..I mean, I have quite an eccletic collection of cd's..everything from ben folds to lincoln park..classical, folk, new age..heck, sometimes I even have to admit that country is sorta catchy..I like bands that write lyrics that mean something..Of course the song usually has to sound good in addition to the lyrics. I like bands that can phrase a thought in my head perfectly..then I like the song better because I can instantly relate to it at that moment.

Anyway, this band I now really like is Death Cab for Cutie..ok..so I guess it isn't new, but I just got into them..I usually get into trends, tv shows late..if ever..so the same applies to me with music. They just have this down to earth tone and lyrics that I can relate to, escpecially recently.

So, check out Plans and Transatlanticism..Both good although the second one is really depressing. It has this great song..#6. I don't know any of the titles..it was burned for me. And it has this great reoccuring line.."You are beautiful, but you don't mean a thing to me." Hmm..that line just sums up the way so many people think nowadays..in my sad young twenties generation. So..cut throat and cruel. So, I want this now but not tomorrow mentality. So, wrong.

"this is the moment that you knowthat you told you loved her but you don't.you touch her skin and then you thinkthat she is beautiful but she don't mean a thing to me.yeah, she is beautiful but she don't mean a thing to me.
all i see are dark grey cloudsin the distance moving closer with every hourso when you ask "was something wrong?"that i think "you're damn right there is but we can't talk about it now. no, we can't talk about it now."

The other favorite I have is on Plans..What Sarah Said. It builds up to this poignant line nearing the end ..."love is watching someone die"..."so who's gonna watch you when you die." I don't know. That just gives me chills. Combining the two most intimite and unchartered elements I can think of together..love and death. Ah..dark and brooding..just like I like my music.

I haven't really connected with a band since Counting Crows..August and Everything After, a cd I can listen to again and again and never get tired of..especially Sulllivan Street and Round Here. Classics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home